CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Thursday, October 16, 2008

Yea, I'm just gonna go now...


Is it rude to walk out during the middle of a lecture?

You’re lying slumped over your desk and tilt your eyes towards the clock on the wall. Time seems to be going backwards, that’s how horrifyingly boring the particular lecture is. You can think of a million different things that you would rather be doing, than sitting in the lecture, listening to your lecturer drone on about something that you couldn’t care less about. We have all been in this situation, often more than once and I’m sure that nearly everyone can agree on how painful these can sometimes become.

This however, does not give you the excuse to just pack up your things and leave. I think it is incredibly rude to leave while the lecturer is still trying to teach. We all know that not every lecture is going to bring excitement and provide interesting information. There will be times where the information which is being discussed and taught will be mind numbingly boring, but do you honestly expect to be entertained by your lecturer all the time?
Honestly, it's just common courtesy and good manners to sit through the lecture, no matter how much you aren’t enjoying it. The fact that your lecturer put in the effort to prepare the lecture and teach it to you means that you should also just put in a little effort and respect by attending the lecture and actually staying for the full 45 minutes. It’s actually not a long time, considering that we can sit still throughout an entire movie which can often stretch to around two hours.

What I don’t understand is if you are going to leave the lecture, why bother coming in the first place? It just doesn’t make a lot of sense, deciding to go to a lecture and then leaving halfway through. You just end up distracting the lecturer as well as some of the people sitting close to you. If you think about it, all you manage to achieve in this process is wasting your own time. And besides, you’re the one who chose the subject, so it is in your own interest and responsibility to sit through the lectures.

Look at it this way. Imagine that you wanted to talk to your friends about something which was really important to you. You’d expect them to listen to what you have to say, wouldn’t you? So picture them walking away halfway through what you were telling them about. It wouldn’t exactly make you feel appreciated or respected, in fact it would most probably make you feel like the complete opposite.
Well, that is probably what the lecturer feels like when you leave the room during the middle of the lecture. So in a way, you should really think about the Buddhist saying, “Hurt not others in ways that you yourself would find hurtful” and try to follow and live by it, because ultimately it holds a lot of truth.

There are about 500 hundred students who took first year Psychology this year, and today when I arrived for the afternoon lecture, there was a grand total of 20 students present, which decreased to 18 after two students left within the first five minutes of the lecture. Besides this small number, at least most of the students who were there decided to make the effort to attend the lecture and then stay the full time.

So, in a way, it was better that the other students decided from the very beginning that they weren’t going to come to the lecture, rather than leaving halfway through and disrupting the class. It’s like Werner Brohmke, a Rhodes Psychology lecturer says, “If you don’t want to come to the lectures, why don’t you just study through UNISA instead?” He has a good point there.

3 comments:

Steph** said...

true that i do say, true that!! u tell those rude ppl!! haha

Unknown said...

I fully understand your argument, however I can also disagree. I study here in Perth, Australia, and I would admit I have walked out on a few lectures.
As part of my degree I would have to study some law units. Law, as you would think, boring as right? Well yes, the content CAN be very dry, so one of my lectures decided, "hey, I'm teaching a boring unit, lets try make it interesting" and it was one of my fav lectures to attend. On the flip side, the next semester, another law unit was snoozeville.

You argue they put in the effort for the lectures? Well half of them dont. For those units which are boring as hell, effort should be put in, with effort, high attendance is achieved.

Also, I dont know how your university timetabling works, but we have to sort out our own, and half the time classes clash, and theres NOTHING we can do, so we have to attend half a lecture and leave to attend another class...surely thats better than missing all the lecture??

Lastly, for my degree? I have no choice in my units I have to do, they are set in concrete, whether I like it or not... which makes it harder to enjoy the subject.

Do I walk out of lectures unnessasirily? Not any more, but I thought I'd show the flip side to the coin too.

Chris said...

I really enjoyed your article and you did give some highly valid points however I do disagree with a lot of what you said. As a student with a bad attention span, bad eating habits, bad hubbly habits and bad sleeping habits (induced by playing to much DOTA after 12) I myself often leave lectures of no value or don’t attend at all. I will give you the view of my Politics 102 Lecturer, Louise Vincent. She states that what the number of students that pitch to a lecture and the number of students that leave the lecture halfway do not affect her level of payment. She is being provided a payment to lecture not keep us inline unless we are distracting the class. In fact I find it more distracting when the lecturer hassles leaving students than when they just leave quietly.