CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Sunday, October 26, 2008

Men


I came across this monologue while doing resaerch for my Drama 1 Vioce exam last semester. I found it amusing while true, check it out...



MEN

"I've always loved sports, and what I love most about sports is that all you have to do is play the game and show your stuff. No spin, no politics. A home run is a home run; a basket is a basket; a goal's a goal.

But even then, it's not a level playing field. I kept being told, "Gee, you're good. You could play on the team, if you weren't a girl". In a pick-up softball game in the park I'd take my position at short-stop only to have a guy come by and stand in front of me. I say, "Excuse me, but I'm playing here." He gets mad, cusses me out and calls me "dyke" and stalks off to play for the other team. I've had guys get mad at me personally because I was the woman on a team that beat them. Like we're so inferior, losing to a woman is an insult! Even when they "let us play", the guys want to put us "where you can't hurt anything" - or can't do much good, either!


The last straw was when I went to work for a sports magazine-- yeah, ‘That’ sports magazine. I was automatically assigned the "soft" sports, even though that was the area where I had the least experience. When I'd make suggestions for stories, they'd be rejected: but the same suggestion is greeted as a great idea when some guy brings it up. Men think they own sports-- like they own government and the military."


I hope you in good spirits...
Take care

Mwa
xoxo

0 comments: