CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Friday, September 26, 2008

Have I got your attention, Me?

Dear ‘Past Sarah’

Well, here you are. You’ve finally made it to Rhodes University and from here, it’s up to you to decide just how you are going to live these next few years while you work towards your degree. You’ll find that no matter how much others try to prepare you for your first year at university, when you arrive it all flutters out your mind and you are bombarded with hundreds of new feelings and experiences. If there was only one thing I could tell you that I would want you to keep in your mind, it would be that you must not be afraid of the different emotions and experiences which will definitely come your way. So when they do, don’t be scared of them. Grab them by the scruff of their necks and don’t let them go. Each one will help you grow and develop your character and will add so many special memories to your life, which you will honestly never ever forget.

I’m not saying that being in Rhodes University is an exciting place where all you’ll have is a good time with happy memories. Life as a university student is balanced by both good and bad times. What you have to decide is how you’ll manage them. It can get really tough at times with work, friendships and homesickness, but you just have to put one foot in front of the other and get through it.

It’s up to you to create your happiness while you’re here, so don’t hold back. If given the chance, you’ll find that life at Rhodes really is fantastic. Open your arms and let your life take you where you want it to go. Never let your past make decisions for you.

You are now in university Se, dream anew and welcome it with an open mind and an even bigger heart.

With lots of love

The ‘Future Sarah’

2 comments:

Chris said...

Hey Sarah

Reading your post brings back episodes of post traumatic stress. Although when I first arrived at Rhodes I was more tied and irritable from along car drive from Johannesburg with only my parents to keep me company. But first year has been a huge shock for me even with my years break from high school to university. Nothing and no one could have prepared me for it. I think res life has required the biggest changes in my life and my stomach has also had to adapt to res food too.

I think your right when you say that university life is a mixture of the good times and the bad times and maybe a little studying in between. You will properly find that all first year students will tell you that their first year life has been marked by ups and downs. Anyone tells you that they have enjoyed it all the time are either lying or on Prozac. However both the good and the bad experiences do serve to makes into proper university material.

Steph** said...

hey maybe i should take this advice...